I’m Tom. I’m a freelance motion graphic designer & animator based in London.
Thanks for dropping by. Here’s a little bit about me and how I got here.
I’m a freelance motion designer now but it wasnt always like that. Since graduating from Leeds University in 2006 with a degree in Architectural Engineering degree I moved into advertising & branding. I started off initially as a graphic designer for print, web and all digital media.
And then I discovered motion and animation. POW.
It was like a big warm smack in the face. I have always enjoyed creating and recording music so being able to bring my graphics work to life via motion design was greatly appealing to me. My enthusiasm for motion design is passed into every job I do and for every client I work for.
As a freelancer I’ve been lucky enough to work with some big brands including Red Bull, RBS and WaterAid. I’ve also worked with some amazing small businesses and start-ups. I work out of a studio in Hoxton, East London but am also happy to work in house too.
The tools of my trade: for design I use Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign and other programmes in the Adobe Creative Suite. For Audio I use Adobe Audition. For compositing and animation I use After Effects and for 3D work I use Cinema 4D exclusively.
4 years ago I founded Grizzle Animation Studio. It has been a brilliant experience allowing me to take on larger jobs and manage multidisciplinary design teams. You’ll see a large crossover of projects on this personal portfolio site and the Grizzle site. For projects that require a bit more oooomph it would be great to see Grizzle considered.
During my career I’ve worked with some great people. Here’s just a few of the very best:
- Neel Patel owner of Nutbot Ltd, a London based digital design agency.
- Matthew Writtle. One of London’s finest photographers.
- David Cotter. Also one of London’s best photographers.
- Giles Alderson. Film Director and producer. Check out his video production company Figi.
- Alex Boyce. Fellow freelance motion designer who contributes greatly to Grizzle projects.
- Roger Wade is a freelance illustrator in London, also an integral part of the Grizzle setup.
- Liv Ross is a great motion freelancer who taught me loaods about motion design. Still appalled by my file structuring.
Would you like to discuss a project?
Get in touch via the contact page.